Green Roof Rehabilitation
Environmentally conscious building owners have made significant investments in the development of ‘green roofs’ for their ICI buildings, where the roof is partially or completely covered with vegetation and a growing medium, planted over a waterproofing membrane. It may also include additional layers such as a root barrier and drainage and irrigation systems.
Green roofs are beneficial for:
- Filtering air and water, producing oxygen and absorbing carbon dioxide
- Providing shade which helps to minimize the impact of the “urban heat island effect” and reduces the building’s air conditioning requirements, which in turn reduces the greenhouse gas emissions from burning fossil fuels for cooling
- Absorbing rainwater and reducing storm water runoff
- Providing habitat for urban wildlife and leisure space for building occupants
- Insulating the building against external sound
- Protect existing roofing, which reduces the number of replacements required and roofing waste
Due to various factors, some green roofs are not performing as expected. RMS understands the reasons behind failed green roofs and is offering a solution to building owners.